Thursday 15 May 2008

The Triumphal Entry

Reading: Mark 11:1-10

As they approached Jerusalem and came to Bethphage and Bethany at the Mount of Olives, Jesus sent two of his disciples, 2 saying to them, “Go to the village ahead of you, and just as you enter it, you will find a colt tied there, which no one has ever ridden. Untie it and bring it here. 3 If anyone asks you, ‘Why are you doing this?’ tell him, ‘The Lord needs it and will send it back here shortly.’”

4 They went and found a colt outside in the street, tied at a doorway. As they untied it, 5 some people standing there asked, “What are you doing, untying that colt?” 6 They answered as Jesus had told them to, and the people let them go. 7 When they brought the colt to Jesus and threw their cloaks over it, he sat on it. 8 Many people spread their cloaks on the road, while others spread branches they had cut in the fields. 9 Those who went ahead and those who followed shouted,

“Hosanna! a

“Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!” b

10 “Blessed is the coming kingdom of our father David!”

“Hosanna in the highest!”

[1]

The citizens of Jerusalem were excited about receiving their long-hoped-for Messiah. "Hosanna" they cried - this is the one who will bring God's salvation to us. They looked forward to the reinstatement of the Kingdom of Israel, restored by the power of God working through His servant Jesus. I'm not sure how many people had grasped Jesus' true identity but certainly they didn't grasp His true mission. Their idea of salvation had a very earthy feel to it - get rid of the Romans and make Israel a powerful nation again.

Jesus' mission was much bigger than that. He was about reconciling all of humanity to God, and that pathway involved rejection, suffering, death and then finally new life.

Jesus' agenda was so much better than what people wanted or expected, yet when it became clear that He was not going to give them what they wanted, many of these people turned their backs on Him. Some joined in the throng that yelled "Crucify Him" less than a week after they had shouted "Hosanna".

Reflection
Am I really interested in God's plan for my life, or do I just want God to bless my plan for my life?
How am I investing time in seeking God's will and being obedient to it?
How do assist others in discerning God's will and give them the encouragement and resourcing they need to carry it out?
Do we really believe that God's purposes are for our best, even when the pathway involves submission and suffering?
In what ways have our hearts hardened toward God when it became clear He was not going to give us what we wanted?

My Prayer
Lord, I believe that you have a great plan and purpose for calling our family here. Some of that has been accomplished already, but I believe much more lies ahead. Show me where my vision for myself, our family, church and community is not Your vision. Give me the courage and wisdom to choose Your plan instead of my own. Give me the heart to take up my cross and follow you, rather than seeking to have a crowd that adore me! Just as You loved the crowd who welcomed You into Jerusalem and the crowd who tormented You on the way out to Calvary, help me to love people who praise me and people who condemn me. Amen.

a A Hebrew expression meaning ``Save!” which became an exclamation of praise; also in verse 10

b Psalm 118:25,26

[1]The Holy Bible : New International Version. 1996, c1984 (Mk 11:1). Grand Rapids: Zondervan.

No comments: