Monday 12 May 2008

The Request of James and John

Reading Mark 10:35-37
35 Then James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to him. “Teacher,” they said, “we want you to do for us whatever we ask.”
36 “What do you want me to do for you?” he asked.
37 They replied, “Let one of us sit at your right and the other at your left in your glory.”
The Holy Bible : New International Version. 1996, c1984 (Mk 10:35-37). Grand Rapids: Zondervan.

What is that I want from God?
What is it that people around me are asking / would ask from God?
What do those desires reveal about the condition of the heart?
How does behaviour reflect those desires or fears?

For me:

Fears / lack of confidence can lead to
  • procrastination with certain pastoral tasks. Need discipline to "discharge all the duties of your ministry" - like Timothy (2 Tim 4:5)
  • Tend to be too soft at times when hard questions need to be asked & principles shared
Love for God & others leads to
  • hard work behind the scenes
  • perseverance with people when I would naturally opt out of involvement
What do I want? I want God's Kingdom to grow (Matt 6:33). This desire is enough to make me choose behaviour motivated by love instead of behaviour motivated by fear, as long as I keep conscious of it.

No comments: