Friday 23 March 2007

Too much responsibility!

Ever felt like you carry too much responisibility? Feel like you've got too many people wanting too many different things from you and you know that you can't possibly keep them all happy?

Sometimes the weight of responsibilities and expectations can be crushing. It's been a bit like that this week. At the moment I feel the weight of the pastoral needs of my church family, the leadership needs, the administration needs, the needs of some community groups I'm involved in have been a huge issue over the last couple of weeks, then there's the needs of my children, my wife, friends... myself. It seems that wherever I look there are problems that demand my attention.

Sometimes the weight of responsibilities and expectations can be debilitating - it can cause you to do less not more. It plays on your mind and disrupts your sleep (at least it does to me!), so that you are less effective and creative because of mental & physical weariness.

It occurred to me last night that all week I'd been running around trying to do all that needed to be done, fixing problems and living up to my "responsibilities". What I'd actually done was neglected the most important things in favour of the noisy and the urgent. There are things that I felt needed to be done early in the week that hadn't been done because "stuff" came up that got in the way. I felt like I didn't have a choice, but I did.

Sometimes we do have to say no to people (including ourselves). We need to set good boundaries so that we are able to stick to our convictions about what God would have us do instead of what our circumstances or other people want us to do. We need to do this lovingly so that people know we genuinely care for them and their needs, but that we are not controlled by them. Ultimately, this allows us to develop healthy lives and ministries; instead of winding up as stressed-out people pleasers - who usually end up bitter & frustrated as well because in the end they couldn't please everyone anyway!

There's a lot more that can be said on this topic, but enough for now - I've got too many other jobs to get on to ;-)

No comments: